Roads & Bridges
Update 10/15/2018: Work on Astondale Road scheduled for this week has been rescheduled to start on October 24 due to weather-related delays.
The Oconee County Road Department will be working on Astondale Road beginning Friday, October 12, at 8 a.m. at the Rose Creek crossing near SR 15. The work will involve lane closures, and flagmen will be directing traffic. Please use caution when traveling this corridor.
Once this work is complete, both lanes will temporarily be gravel for approximately 100’. This work is being performed to address settlement issues in preparation for the resurfacing of Astondale Road.
The county's paving contractor is scheduled to mobilize on Monday, October 15 to begin patching and resurfacing this road. There will be partial lane closures during work hours over the course of that week.
Please use caution when travelling Astondale Road, and obey all signs and flagman directions.
On Friday, September 14, 2018, Athens-Clarke County will begin construction on a roundabout at the intersection of South Milledge Avenue and Whitehall Road. Expect lane closures, and please allow for extra time when traveling this route.
After schools are out for the summer in 2019, Athens-Clarke County will close the entire intersection to travel from the Oconee side to complete the roundabout project.
The essential mission of the Roads & Bridges Department is to repair and maintain all County primary roads and residential streets and rights-of-way, as well as traffic signs and signals and storm water drainage.
- Major Road repairs done in preparation for resurfacing, with and without GDOT assistance.
- Pothole and surface repairs to all County roads and streets.
- Grading, graveling, and improving dirt roads in preparation for asphalt surfacing.
- Maintenance and repairs to surface drainage ditches, pipes, and culverts.
- Maintenance of grass, trees, shrubs, and general condition of County rights-of-way.
- Placement, repair, and maintenance of traffic signs and signals.
- Maintenance and repair of side and center striping on all County roads.
- Removal of litter, dead animals, and other debris from County roads.
- Operation of County vehicle fueling facility.
- Repair and maintenance of all departmental vehicles and equipment.
- Winter snow and ice control as necessary.
- Response to citizen requests and problems.